Keeping older adults hydrated is important for their overall well-being. Being hydrated is beneficial to them because it can cushion the joints, promotes a regular bowel movement, aids in converting food into energy, regulates blood temperature, and most importantly, gives good skin since it helps the body absorb more nutrients.
As a caregiver of these seniors, it is best to monitor their health and hydration. Here are symptoms and signs one should look out to the elderly to see if they are dehydrated:
- a small amount of urine and it is dark
- gets tired and confused easily
- has dry skin, mouth, and cracked lips
- development of urine infection
- sunken eyes
Hence, make sure to provide adequate fluids to them throughout the day. The following are smart ways to help increase their fluid intake:
- create a schedule when they should drink water throughout the day
- make sure to include soup in their meals
- offer them juicy fruits, juice, or tea, but make sure they will take these in moderation
- remind and assist them when it is time for drinking water
Modern Home Health Care, Inc. is a provider of skilled nursing in California, that can help in keeping the hydration level of the seniors through our registered dietitian.
As a home health agency in Chula Vista, California, we make sure to help our clients to feel better and become healthier in the comfort of their homes.
With the scope of the area we cover, we extend our helping hand in providing home health in San Diego.